- Overcome the angry with friendliness.
Overcome the wicked with goodness.
Overcome the miser with generosity.
Silence the liar with truth.
- Hatred is never appeased by hatred in this world.
By kindness alone is hatred appeased.
This is a law eternal.
- Drop by drop is the water pot filled.
Likewise, the wise one, gathering it little by little, fills himself with good.
- ‘We will develop and cultivate the liberation of mind by kindness, make it our vehicle, make it our basis, stabilize it, exercise ourselves in it, and fully perfect it.’ Thus should you train yourselves.
- If you become angry with me and I do not get insulted, then the anger falls back on you. You are then the only one who becomes unhappy, not me. All you have done is hurt yourself.
- You yourself must strive. The Buddhas only point the way.